Tuesday, February 26, 2013

January 28, 2013 I had a baby!


Yes folks. I had a baby on Thursday. For those of you not familiar with mission terms- a "baby" is a missionary that just came into the mission- because while new missionaries think that the MTC taught them everything they need to know....they really dont know much about how the mission works and thus they are considered babies. Yes. I know your confused because I just told you last week that I got a new companion Hermana Duarte. Well Wednesday afternoon, our zone leader called and said that Hermana Duarte had emergency changes and we had to be in the mission office on Thursday in the morning. We didnt know where she was going or who my new comp was going to be. We left at 6 for Esteli, left Esteli at 5 in the morning and finally arrived at the mission office. She left for Corinto and Hermana Ascencio from Cabanas, El Salvador is my new comp. She has been living for 21 years but said there are problems with her documents so she has to say she is 23. She comes from a branch of about 80 members and only 8 of them are men. She believes in the eye sickness that Nicaraguenses believe in too. We are very different but she is really willing to work hard and learn so its good. Its crazy being with someone so new in the mission because I realize how far I have come and how much I have learned here.
Ive been feeling a bit stressed about the responsibility of being senior companion- trying to balance doing everything I know we need to do yet at the same time not dominating and helping her learn and contribute. Its tough to do! One morning I was feeling especially pressured and stressed. I was reading in Alma 26 (the best chapter for frustrated, in need of more faith missionaries to read) and reading verse 27: Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to aturn back, behold, the Lord bcomforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with cpatience thine dafflictions, and I will give unto you success" In this moment, I felt like this verse was written just for me. The rest of the chapter comforted me. That morning we went out and worked hard and saw little success. Then we were about to go to lunch and there was a family that was walking ahead of us pretty out of the way. We went and contacted them and they have been our most postive family and they came to church on Sunday! I love it when we can apply scriptures to our daily lives and we can see immediate results.
Kayla continues to grow in her knowledge of the Book of Mormon and her testimony of Jesus Christ. She is really putting the effort in to learning and I love seeing her growth! Now were just praying that her husband will see the joy she has and be baptized soon.
So remember how Erick was baptized 2 weeks ago? Well he was just confirmed yesterday. It has been crazy. He didnt show up for his confirmation the day after his baptism. We tried to visit him at his house every day at different hours but he was always working. His family doesnt really love us so we didnt know when we could contact him or if they were lying to us. I kept praying to find him in the street. Well the Lord didnt answer my prayer for a week and he answered it through our district leader Elder Perez that saw him in the street. We were able to be put in contact with him and FINALLY he is confirmed. I really hope that he trusts in the Lord and puts the effort in to work to serve a full time mission.
Remember Xiomara? well I received a call from her the other day and it was so wonderful to hear that she is doing well. She is trusting in the Lord and going to church every Sunday. I know that we were able to be angels and instruments in the hands of the Lord helping her leave the abusive situation with Javier and helping her get baptized, but she has been an angel for me at the same time. A witness to me that miracles happen and people can come out of their hard situations when they have the faith to trust in the Lord. Im excited because we have a conference in Managua tomorrow because Elder Amado is visiting. Well I love all of you so much and Im praying for you often. I love life and I love being a missionary. Hope youre all warm enough. I am. Thats for sure.
Love,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment