Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I'm a Chela!


August 27, 2012


Dearest family,

I had a GREAT and unusual week. I had the great opportunity to participate in a traveling choir of missionaries on Wednesday and Thursday. We had a multi zone conference with Elder Martino and President Arredondo on Wed. in Chinandega and Thursday in Managua. Because I was in the choir I had the incredible opportunity to be taught from a member of the quorum of the 70 two days in a row. We sang "I need thee every hour." I learned so much from him and President Arredondo! I was thrilled that I was able to understand almost everything they said. I didnt understand my mission president very well at the beginning of my mission so this is definitely an improvement. I made a goal in the CCM to read the Book of Mormon in Spanish every day  and I know by being committed to this goal I have blessed to understand. There messages and ideas to be better missionaries were so motivating. Here are some highlights and ways that we can all be better missionaries....

-To be a great missionary we need to TEACH more and PREACH less. When we ask inspired questions we are able to know what investigators are thinking, what there needs are and then know how we can help them.
-A quote he shared that Elder Nelsons wife said, " Obedience brings blessings. Exact obedience brings miracles."
-If we pray in general, we will receive general answers. If we pray specifically, we will receive specific answers.
-When were having difficulties in companionships, marriages, or any relationship in general, we need to remember the following phrase, "If it is to be, it is up to me."

I wish I could send you all my notes or a recording of the conferences, but those are some highlights that really hit home. I was so grateful to have the opportunity to reevaluate the kind of missionary I am, and how I can improve. During the conferences I also got to meet and spend some quality time with other missionaries that come from all different backgrounds. Im really inspired by the sacrifices that others make.

Now for some random experiences.......

Everyone has heard that people from the US are called gringos when they go to Nicaragua. Im called that a lot of the time but people also call me "chela." I had no idea what the word meant until last week. You know those little white boogers that you get in your eye sometimes? Thats a chela. Yes, Im being humbled every day with experiences like this and  laughing alot.

So Ive lost some weight. Dont worry....not much. Just enough to make some of my skirts not fit very well. One day this week my comp. and I are walking to our lunch appointment greeting everyone on the street. As we were just about to arrive, I realized that one side of my skirt was well below my waist. I quickly pulled it up, told my comp., we laughed and I hoped no one saw. But no........Sobeida (daughter of Carmen who cooks our food) arrived after we did at our food appt. and mentioned seeing me. As we would say in Spanish....Que verguenza! 

Lots of times in Nagarote, we lose both the water and the lights. Today was one of those days. The light went out at about 9 in the morning. I wrote some letters, worked out, and cleaned all my shoes. And then I went to shower. No water. Yikes. I decided to be creative. So I took a shower with 4.5 bottles of water. Im sorry for all the times that I complained about low water pressure in Ohio.

I hope youre all doing well fam. I love you all SOOO much and am glad you had fun at the family reunion! The church is true. Be a friend to others and spread the gospel!

Love you,

Hermana Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment