Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Answered Prayers


June 10, 2013


HOLA,
I hope everyone had a great week. This week had its ups and downs but turned out to be amazing. 

We have had some difficulties in helping Pabel and Marlene progress this week but were hoping this week they will start to read the Book of Mormon more. Jader knows one of the members, Antonio, that has been branch president and we had a great lesson with them last night. Teaching with members in Nicaragua is really hard considering lots of people dont like making committments to say they will be somewhere or be available at an assigned time, but its ALWAYS better.
We found a golden investigator this week. His name is Federico and we met him while contacting on Thursday. We invited him to church, talked a little bit about The Restoration, and left a pamphlet with him. When we came back to visit him and his wife, Aura, the next day, he remembered what apostasy meant and remembered Joseph Smith. Very uncommon that people remember these words, let alone read the pamphlets. We came back the next day and he expressed concern about not coming to church with a tie (sign that he was actually planning on coming). We came by to remind him at 830 on Sunday morning for church and his little girl came to the door all dressed up and said they would come alone. When we got to the church at 930, he was there in his best Sunday clothes already talking to members. Turns out,one of the members, about 20 years younger than him, has known him his whole life, so he sat by him the whole meeting. In Sunday school, he was asking questions and making comments. He said that he used to live close to the church and would walk by, but never knew when the meetings were but always wanted to come in. It was really incredible finding him and an answer to our prayers. Now we just need to work to help his wife come to church and understand how this gospel can bless their lives. She is pretty positive but just had to work on Sunday.
So I prayed this week to have the ability to teach with the spirit more and ask more inspired questions to help know the needs of the people we teach. We were contacting and met a woman named Carolina that is evangelical and active in her church. We invited her to church and normally we would move on since it was pretty clear she wasnt interested. But she told us she lived alone and that we could pass by anytime to visit and I decided that we should come in and share a message with her. I decided to talk about The Restoration, but she wasnt understanding it very well, we could tell it wasnt what she needed. But then she opened up and told us about how she had been abused by her husband for 20 years and a couple of months ago had built up the courage to leave him. In this moment I tried to search for some topic of the restored gospel and trying to think of some committment I could help her make to improve her life, but nothing came. Then I thought to ask her, "Why do you think that God sent us here today?" I looked at Hermana Chita and was about to ask the question when Hermana Chita asked her the exact same thing I was thinking. Carolina said, "Because I was praying that God would send someone to me today." It was so incredible to me that Heavenly Father would use us as instruments in his hands to answer the prayer of this woman, and answer my prayer at the same time. The Lord really knows and loves every single person.
If anyone is struggling with some problem in their life (who isnt) I LOVE this quote by Elder Holland, " Everyone of us has times when we need to know things will get better....My declaration is that this is precisely what the gospel of Jesus Christ offers us, especially in times of need. There IS help. There IS happiness...Dont you quit. you keep walking. You keep trying...I will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come....Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some dont come until heaven, but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, THEY COME." I love Jesus Christ and the comfort his restored gospel gives us. I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!!
Hermana Pearson

Random

I feel like a real Tom boy here because Im the only sister I know (besides Hermana Henderson) that will pick up toads and frogs. Its kind of fun to scare the other sisters with them.......When we were tracting this week I picked one up and a little group of 10 year old girls saw me. They became instant fans of me and Hermana chita and tagged along behind us at the next 6 houses. It was funny.

 If any future or current missionaries havent read "The Fourth Missionary" by Brother Corbridge, you should---its really motivating. I read it this week and it helped me improve this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment